Salmon and steelhead require a variety of habitat for spawning, rearing, and completing their migration to and from saltwater.
Regional Fisheries Enhancement Groups (RFEGs) utilize local salmon recovery plans and priorities to implement a wide variety of habitat restoration activities that support the entire ecosystem salmon and steelhead need to complete their journey.
These activities include:
- removing barrier to fish passage, such as culverts,
- restoring in-stream habitat diversity, such as by adding wood to create pools,
- planting native vegetation and removing invasive species in riparian areas,
- reconnecting floodplains, and
- restoring nearshore habitats that are important for refuge, food, and passage to the sea.